The Most Satisfying Ways To Spring Clean
When the sweet smell of spring starts coming around, we know it's time to spring clean. Many of us are spending a lot more time at home, and having a clean and tidy space is more important than ever. You may be dreading cleaning the nooks and crannies of your home, or love tackling a closet that needs to be decluttered, but almost everyone can agree that now is the time to start fresh and to take that jump into spring.
Here are some tips on how to make spring cleaning as satisfying and rewarding as possible.
Basics of Spring Cleaning
- Spring cleaning is a lot of work and can drain a lot of your energy. Taking breaks and treating yourself during the process is vital for making it through. Listen to music, reward yourself, clean with friends - do anything that makes cleaning as fun as possible.
- Make a checklist before to make sure you get through everything you want or need to. There are tons of great ones already made online if you don't know where to start!
- Do it room by room. Sectioning it off helps because you get an immediate reward of having the full room being clean before moving onto the next. It also gives you a tangible end goal where you can take a break for a while.
- Start with the areas that have been neglected the most. Once you get it done, you'll feel better and energized to take on the next challenge.
- Go top-down as much as possible. This makes sure that the last thing you're doing is vacuuming or cleaning the floors from any other messes you may have made.
Donate Unnecessary Items
It's so much easier to clean and organize when you're getting rid of stuff you no longer need. Whether it's clothing, papers, kids' toys, or anything similar, now is the time to part ways.
When you put something in a donation bag or bin, don't look back on it. Going through it again to fold or double-check will almost always make you keep more than you need. Trust your gut instinct on whether you need it or not.
When it comes to clothes, a well-known tip is to flip all of your hangers backwards. Then, when you go to wear that item of clothing, flip the hanger in the correct direction again. Any clothes hangers that haven't been flipped within six months should be donated because it's not something you wear.
During this time, donations may need to be dropped off at a later time. Check your local donation centre for their policies and hours.
No matter how hard you try to hit everything, there are always some spots that get forgotten. Below are some of the most commonly forgotten spots:
- Walls and ceilings - Spot-check for any smudges, spills, or anything else can make a big difference to the overall look of the room.
- Flip and vacuum the mattress - Turning over your mattress should be done twice a year.
- Wipe down the inside of garbage bins
- Wipe underneath the sink
- Dust and clean window hangings - Simple dusting or vacuuming can be the best way to clean curtains and blinds, but if they seem like they need a deeper clean, be sure to follow the instructions on the tag.
- Decorative pillows and throws - Strip the covers of your pillows (if possible) and throw everything into the wash.
- Vacuum the couch
- Clean out any vents around the house
Hopefully, you're ready and as excited as you can be to get started cleaning.
Don't forget to take lots of breaks, make a list of items to get through, and, most importantly, try to make it fun! The result will make all of the work worth it.